Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Upper Room

Glass window in Upper Room depicting Holy Spirit


To every person who travels to Israel, one of the highlights of being in the city of Jerusalem is to visit "The Upper Room"

If you recall, this is the room where Jesus and His disciples ate the Passover meal together one last time, prior to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection.  It is also the location of the events described in the opening chapters of the book of Acts -- the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

There are differences of opinion as to the actual location of this room -- but, our guide assured us that this was a good "possibility" of that location --- at least, this is the place where a large number of tourist gathered that day.

I love the atmosphere of this place ---  while our Jewish guide was trying to talk to us -- explaining all the archeology of this site -- the Biblical significance of this place, etc. --- there were other groups in the room singing and praying -- fact is, in the short while we were there, one of the groups nearby testified to some of their members being "baptized in the Holy Spirit" while we were there.

I didn't care about the lecture -- didn't listen.  I didn't care about the archeology and what some expert has said about whether this is the actual room or not.  All I wanted to do was worship!  And so I did!

Our visit to this room was relatively short -- but the lasting feeling I have, and the presence of the Holy Spirit I felt that day linger.

On that first day - when the disciples were eating the Passover - Jesus told them HE would go away -- but after He left -- HE told them to return to this room and wait until "you be empowered or endued with power".

Have you waited in His presence "until you be empowered"?
I have -- and I still do often!

What does the Upper Room mean to you?  What part of your life does the Holy Spirit play in your everyday life?

Share you comments with me below!  I want to know!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has humor...There have been quite a few communions that I have accidently dropped the tiny square of bread. Just when I think I have a "grasp" and that won't be the time I drop it, I do. I always tend to smile knowing that my communion time with Him is special cause I know that He is communicating with me that it's not my grasp but His that is more important. He and I also have a special reason for putting .50 in the offering, there was a day when that was all I had as a single mom..I cannot share this without tearing up, when the chance comes I put in the .50 and remember where He has brought me in life since then and sometimes if my son is with me I give him .50 also and it springs a well into my heart that it equals 1.00. I know that value wise .50 and 1.00 is not much but to Jesus and Me it is worth a lot. I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH!

Don Railey said...

It is always such a blessing to remember situations in our past when God touched us.....in the Communion time, that's when we do what HE said ... "This do in remembrance of Me....." That .50 offering means so much to you -- reminding you of HIS provision for you! Thanks for sharing!