Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Your Favorite god


I received in the mail the other day, some catalogs from publishing companies.  I am used to receiving these, as I have ordered products from them in the past as a Senior Pastor.  Tucked inside the calendars was a small booklet, which was actually the introduction and first chapter of a new book, written by Kyle Idleman from Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY.  I was intrigued by the title "gods at war"  - so I read it.

Kyle made a statement that hit me, like a seed implanted in my spirit.  He said, "The Bible's paradigm is absolutely different.  When we hear God say, 'You shall have no other gods before,' we think of it as a hierarchy; that is, God is always in first place. But there are no 'places.'  God isn't interested in competing against others or being first among many.  God will not be part of any hierarchy."

Wow!  As I have been praying and thinking, here's what I heard the Holy Spirit say:
"I do not want to be your favorite god!"

When God gave the Ten Commandments (the statement about "no other gods" was the first commandment given), the people has just come from being in Egypt.  That land was full of gods, everywhere.  Now, THE GOD says NO gods but ME!

Are we any different today?  Don't we see thousands of gods everywhere in our society.  Remember that an "idol" by definition is "something worshipped".  People worship their jobs - their cars - their houses - their kids - their position - their status - themselves (look at the fashion industry).  Humanism and hedonism is rampant today in the world. Some, even in the church world, worship styles of music, formats of services - programs -  even worshipping worship. 

We worship musical "stars" - movie "stars" - TV "stars"  -- by the fact we call them "stars" means we are elevating them to a status to be worshipped. We even have a popular musical talent TV show called "American Idol" -- Wow!

Remember - anything that you value or place before (actually means, "in the presence of") GOD, is your idol.  What do you worship today?  What is so important to you today that you could not walk away from it?  What stands "in the presence" of GOD today?  HE said - "no gods in my presence'.

I heard HIM say .... "I do not want to be your favorite god....I AM GOD all by myself"

No comments: