Saturday, August 30, 2014

Affirming


By definition the word "Affirm" means:
: to say that something is true in a confident way

: to show a strong belief in or dedication to (something, such as an important idea)



We hear this word used a lot today in society, concerning social interactions - and lately it is being used to describe churches.  We are all aware of the term "political correctness" --- I still struggle to define this term --- it's really not about "political" at all -- unless the government is trying to dictate what is correct   [I think sometimes this is exactly what it means].

This "affirmation" is being presented as a "badge" of acceptance, and is usually used by the minority or people who consider themselves "down-trodden".

The poor want to be affirmed.  The minority races want to be affirmed.  The "gay" community wants to be affirmed.  The people who are here in America without citizenship want to be affirmed (I really don't like the term "illegal aliens" -- they are not aliens, they are people).  

Churches are now putting themselves forward as being "affirming".  What does that mean??  We used to see huge banners and signs on church building stating "Everyone Welcome"!  But, usually that meant, "everyone who looks like us, is welcome."   Martin Luther King Jr. is credited with saying that "Sunday morning is the most segregated day of the week".  

Today churches are wanting to be open to ALL people -- and that is often a challenge.  I wonder if in our effort to reach people, are we compromising what we stand for?

If the definition of "Affirm" is really to "say something is really true in a confident manner" - or "to show a strong belief in or dedication to something" -- then we cannot compromise our beliefs and our doctrine on the altar of "correctness".

If your church says they are "affirming" and what it means is... everyone is welcome to come and you are not required to change, because we accept you as you are, no matter what --- I have a problem with that.  

Yes the church is that "hospital" for sick people -- everyone is welcome at the cross -- but NO ONE leaves the cross unchanged!  I love the statement I heard from Pastor Rod Parsley years ago -- "God loves you too much, to leave you the way He found you!" - That's the Gospel (Good News)!

Come as you are -- leave a different person!  We are seeing too many churches downplaying the truth of the Bible to the extent that no body is changing anything!  Frankly, if my trip to church doesn't change me -- it wasn't worth the trip!

Am I calling for condemnation?   A thousand times NO! 
Am I calling for compassion? YES  
Am I calling for the truth?  YES -- the truth spoken and demonstrated by LOVE!

I affirm you as a person!
I affirm you as a person for whom Christ died on the cross to save!
I affirm you as a human who is made in the image of God!
I affirm that we are all sinners in need of a Savior!
I affirm that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God - the only Savior of mankind!
I affirm that God is in the process of changing each of us, by His grace and mercy!
I affirm that as I allow the Holy Spirit to work in me - I am changing - and you will too!

Now that is affirmation!  

That IS the business of the church -- not to please everyone - not to judge anyone - but to point everyone to the Cross, where change happens!


No comments: