Wednesday, April 15, 2015

LEGACY

My mentor and friend, John Maxwell writes a lot about “legacy”.   In life, as we get older, we all reflect on our future and what we leave behind, and what is before.  John had his “wake-up” call when he had a heart attack at the young age of 51.  I got a wake-up call when in 2005 I was diagnosed with cancer.  I think about legacy every day now.

I was once again aroused in my thinking last night – when my wife’s father, Dave McNeilly received his heavenly promotion.  We were at his side when he took that last breath – at the age of 86.  What a precious man of faith and conviction.  He has impacted so many people over the years.  He is the father of two children, proud grandfather of five grandkids who adore him – and great-grandpa to twelve kids, who think he’s the greatest!  Pictured above is the youngest great-grandchild (# 12) – my granddaughter, Vera Victoria Railey, age one. When I look at that picture, I know that even though she may not remember all about him – she will be impacted by his influence in the family.

He is leaving an awesome legacy – every child, grandchild, and great-grandchild has a rich Christian heritage.  Dave was such a strong man of faith and so many people felt his influence. He never knew a stranger and was accepting of everyone, making them know how much he cared for them.  He was an inspiration to all, and was a mentor to many.


Dave is leaving his legacy.  Think about who is following you! What will your legacy be?

No comments: